~Our Faith is in the Lord Jesus Christ~

Why I'm blogging...

Welcome to our lives, our farm, and our family. Here is were we give you a view into our daily walk. I pray that it might encourage you while giving you a real life glance deeper into our lives. May we honor the Lord in all we do and say. My greatest hope is that anything you admire within our family points you right back to the Lord Jesus Christ and our love for HIM.

Thursday, January 14, 2021

What if....

 The repetitive ‘What If’…

 

So many different times in our lives we follow this thought pattern…

Thoughts that swirl around in our heads, often taunting and accusing us for not trying harder.  Depending on the circumstances it can range from annoying to devastating and often even paralyzing.  In grief the impact is even greater because there is no opportunity to go back and change it.  There is no restoration, no opportunity to try harder or try again.  The finality is just that FINAL.

 

As a parent of a critically ill child we often were reading, researching, listening to other’s opinions, and ultimately trusting that someone knew what was best to help Millie.  When we were told she was terminally ill, the constant grasping at any new idea for healing overtook us.  We were willing to try even more. We were willing to try the unknown and the unproven.  We were chasing anything that offered HOPE of survival. 

 

As she got sicker and sicker, we knew our opportunity for healing was waning.  We knew we had tried.  We knew we had done what we could to find a cure.  We had to resign ourselves that it was okay to let her go peacefully, not continue on forcing her to live a life filled with pain, trauma, and eventually still leading to death.  We were grateful for each moment we had with her and that she was able to pass away in our home surrounded by our family.  Exactly how I would want to die. With my family surrounding me, holding my hand whispering reassuringly of their love.  I can write all of that and yet my eyes fill with tears and my heart aches.  Yes it was a good way, but it was so hard to be in those last moments and even harder to be each day away from that last moment. 

 

About three months after she took her last breath, the what if’s creeped in…

·         What if they would have given her a liver transplant?

·         What if we had gone to Memorial Sloan Kettering?

·         What if we had tried all the non-traditional stuff early on?

·         What if we had caught it earlier? 

·         What if…..

·          

I had to come to grips with this line of thoughts and battle it head on early.  If I let it creep in just a little, I would get swallowed up in self-doubt, misery, and hopelessness.  Every few weeks this ugly monster rears his head again and I go to battle beating him back in place.  According to the armor of God listed in Ephesians 6: 13-17 He knew I would battle, and he gave me instructions on how to do it.

 

13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

 

First I have to have his truth buckled around my waist.  This means literally putting on GOD’s truth…believing it so much that I live it. 

·         The TRUTH was we loved Millie and tried so hard to heal her. 

·         The TRUTH was that GOD loved Millie.

·         The TRUTH is that heaven is where we WANT to be. 

 

We have to wear the breastplate of righteousness.  This is the living for JESUS.  I cannot wear his righteousness and act like the devil.  Someone will call me out.  Someone will accuse me of hypocrisy.  Someone will see my real heart if it is not true.  To wear his righteousness, I have to truly believe and live it. 

 

I have to have my feet fit with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace… what does THAT mean?  It means I will enter into the battle. There is no doubt about that, but will I be READY?  What makes me ready?  The gospel of peace.  God’s instructions and my belief that his ways are right. 

 

I have to take the shield of faith to protect me from flaming arrows of attack.  Not everything that I battle has a reasonable, logical, or even fixable solution…but I can have faith that GOD will use it for good. 

·         Will I like it? Not always, and especially not in the case of losing Millie.

·         Do I have faith that he can use it for good and his glory?  Yes I do…  His word tells me in Romans 8:28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”  He did NOT say losing her was good. What he did say is it can work for my good.  Losing Millie has caused me to seek him as never before. 

 

Listed next is the helmet of salvation. This helmet is so important because without it, the other pieces have no use.  If we do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved, the how can we have faith and be protected.  Wear his salvation boldly!

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

 

Finally, the sword is the word of God.  How do you battle any wrong thoughts? 

·         His word… Scripture… the Bible

·         You have to believe it, live it, trust it and then USE it. 

 

The Bible is not just a book of outdated stories.  It is the handbook to this crazy and often frustrating thing called LIFE.  Now that I have shown you how I battle the what if’s about Millie, I will show you what it looks like to me as I walk it out…

 

·         I boldly proclaim that God loved Millie!  He loves us!  We could not add one moment to Millie’s life.  She lived the life that was ordained for her to live.  She was not, nor were we shorted in her passing.  She lived a full and abundant life, just shorter than we expected (or hoped!).  James 4:14 “Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring—what your life will be! For you are like vapor that appears for a little while, then vanishes.”

 

Could I have done something to change her ordained life? 

 

Luke 12::25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?

 

Job 14:5 You have decided the length of our lives. You know how many months we will live, and we are not given a minute longer.

 

I believe no, I could not change how long she was here with us.  God knew.  My job was to take every day with gratefulness and not for granted. 

 

((It might occur to you to ask why we treated with Chemo if we did not think we could change the outcome?  Because as the King David said in 2 Samuel 12:13-25 “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’  He did what he knew to do while there was still hope…breath…life.  We continued on in hope as long as there was life.)) 

 

·         God is GOD who can do anything

·         He does not need me to help him do a miracle

·         He loves us

·         His ultimate goal is for us to live with him in HEAVEN

 

I know some of the things I write are very different from how others think.  I share my heart as both a way for you to know how to pray for me but also to open your eyes to different ways to think about God’s word and how it can affect your life.  I love hearing your opinions and am always willing to learning new things.  Message me your thoughts…

 

Blessings Sweet Friends,

。・:*:・゚,。・:*:・゚ 。・:*:・゚。・:*:・゚

I still believe in Millie’s Miracle

。・:*:・゚Hebrews 11:1 。・:*:・゚

#MilliesMiracle

#Forever3

#WithJesus

#Neuroblastoma

#ChildhoodCancer

No comments:

Post a Comment