~Our Faith is in the Lord Jesus Christ~

Why I'm blogging...

Welcome to our lives, our farm, and our family. Here is were we give you a view into our daily walk. I pray that it might encourage you while giving you a real life glance deeper into our lives. May we honor the Lord in all we do and say. My greatest hope is that anything you admire within our family points you right back to the Lord Jesus Christ and our love for HIM.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

A Spirit Adorned

 As a woman it is important how we look, both in our physical and our spiritual appearance. As we age, we often bemoan how our physical appearance is changing. Grey hair, wrinkled and spotted skin, needing glasses, and body parts moving south, all seem to be part of that process. When I was younger, I always thought I would have time before it started happening to me. I have birthed nine babies and subsequently carry about 5 lbs of extra ‘baby weight’ for each one. Now with one child, that might not be bad but multiply it times 9 and I am about 50 lbs heavier than I want to be. Body image is hard on a woman of any age!

Physical health is also another aspect of aging. The older we get, the more it seems our bodies fail us. Arthritis, aches and pains, sore joints, less stamina, more easily winded all seem to come easier the older we get. For me I have made a true effort the last few years to be in better health. I eat fairly healthy and drink lots of water but have not moved to regularly exercising…again I keep thinking “I have time to start…later.” My yearly health screening comes out with ‘Excellent’ results and I often joke that I wish the outside of my body knew the inside was as healthy as it was and followed suit. I am not sure how I can be so unfit, yet so healthy!
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “You know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God, don’t you? You do not belong to yourselves, (20) because you were bought for a price. Therefore, glorify God with your bodies.”
This verse reminds us that our bodies are God’s temple and how we treat them reflects on God. OUCH! He bought us with a price (His own blood for our sins). We should reflect HIM!
Recently I had someone comment to me about my appearance. It was not said in an unkind way, rather a questioning way. They asked about how I dress and if I ever dress up? I had to think on that one. I wanted to be defensive for a moment, but I know it was asked in love. I did say “yes, I do fix my hair and makeup.” I also try to look nice for church and our date nights. But I have spent the last few days mulling on this conversation. I asked my hubby what he thought, but after 30 years of marriage his answer was “How you dress is fine.” Smart man!
Seriously though, on a daily basis you will find me clean, with my hair pulled up in a bun usually. I wear my scripture tee-shirts most of the time (I don’t want to iron ANYTHING!). Usually with a skirt on, but every once in a while, I will wear exercise pants (just not to exercise it! Ha!). My focus has been to be modest, but that often comes across as frumpy. I want to be biblically feminine, hence the skirts, but some people view that as legalistic. I want to be comfortable, so it is usually a denim skirt, tee shirt, and tennis shoes. The shoe choice is comfy over fashionable because my back and feet hurt too much otherwise. I only wear make up on errand days or trips to town; why waste it? All of this to say, my standard of dress does not line up with the latest fashions. The question is “Am I ok with that?”
I think my answer is “YES”. I want to dress to be attractive to and please my hubby. I want to always look like I took the time to care, but not that I am so vain that there is nothing else on my mind. I want to be frugal; not minding to wearing a good thrift store find. I want to influence my daughters to know that modesty is important, and they do not need to show their bodies to be liked. I want to be dressed in a way that I can sit in the floor and play with my grandbabies comfortably. I want everyone to feel comfortable around me, not like they need to ‘dress up’. So, am I confident in how I look? Yes, I am. Will I change anything? Probably I will try to shake my bun out before pictures.
1 Timothy 2:9-10 “Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.”
1 Peter 3:4 “but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.”
According to this last verse, my dress should be becoming of that proper for a woman who professes godliness. How I dress does reflect on what I believe. How I adorn my body is important, but how I adorn my spirit is most precious in God’s sight. Let your spirit shine bright for the Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment